Friday, March 11, 2005

Funeral songs

I have been asked to sing at funerals a lot. I have also volunteered a lot. I like to think that my singing at a funeral makes someone feel good. I can tell you that it is hard. I have sung at both my grandmother's funerals. That takes an awful lot of self control. I don't see myself as having a lot to offer the world, but somehow, singing at a funeral seems to be a gift that I can offer to the people that are grieving.
I snapped my achilles tendon a few years ago and whilst I was in hospital a lady died in the ward I was in. She was an otherwise healthy woman, in for some surgery on her feet due to age and diabetes. She died suddenly from a blood clot to her lung.
I remember the nurses coming in and drawing the curtain around her while they tried to revive her and we could all hear what was going on.
Now I didn't know this lady, I hadn't even spoken to her, but I felt that I should do something to try to ease her husbands pain. I contacted her family and offered to sing at her funeral.
Her husband called me and I met with him at my home - remember that I had only gotten out of hospital myself a few days prior - and we discussed what song that she would have liked for me to sing. These were religious people, the gentleman asked me to sing a hymn.
I knew very little of their religion, I think they were seventh day adventists or something like that, and I took the music from him and learned the hymn.
I don't know if I performed well on the day, it is really hard to sing when there is a big lump in your throat and you are trying not to cry, but I did my best.
Maybe I did this to ease my own guilt over the state of my karma, maybe I did this because I am so full of myself that I thought that everyone wanted to hear me sing anywhere. Whatever the reason I did this, I hope that that lady's husband remembers his wife, the music that played that meant so much to them both and not the person who sang it.

2 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

If you can play the trumpet and like Clint Eastwood, you can play at mine when the time comes...

11:14 PM  
Blogger Movin'on said...

Well, my dad plays the trumpet, and I don't dislike Clint Eastwood...we'll have to see how it all pans out.

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home