Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Looks ARE important....

I woke up this morning with a huge cold sore. I have infrequent bouts of this revolting virus flaring up to remind me of how important looks are.
Now, a cold sore is one thing, a huge blister on your top lip, extending all the way around the lip line and up to the base of your nose is another. I could probably deal with just a little blister, hardly noticeable, gone in a day or two. The thing is, I don't get a little blister, I get a HUGE blister, and it stays around for at least four days. I have tried every quack cure in the universe, in fact I am stopping every two lines to put on more cream, and there is not a thing I can do to stop its inevitable spread.
There is not one person in this world that does not notice something of these gargantuan proportions smack bang in the middle of your face. You know that advertisement with the girl where she has a bag on her head? That would be more inconspicuous than the monstrosity I have growing on my upper lip. I may as well have a flashing light and alarm bells announcing my cold sore to the world.
When people are talking to you, you can see their eyes are drawn to that spot on your face. I almost want to yell, "YES, ITS A COLD SORE, AND IT'S HUGE AND GROSS, JUST STOP LOOKING AT IT!!" but that would be like telling someone a secret and making them promise not to tell, or telling someone that you're checking out a cute guy behind them and not to look, or promising yourself that you won't eat all of the chocolate in the fridge, just one piece. Just like in the Austin Powers movie with the guy with the mole...
I've obsessed over it all day, and will be doing the same all day tomorrow. I have been throwing pills down my throat at an amazing rate, and have nearly used up a whole tube of cream on it.
The question begs to be asked, "Why me? Why now?". Is it because I have three interviews booked today and they will all be staring at it? Is it because I found a really hot boy to do really naughty things with (and now I can't invite him over for ages)? Is it because I was feeling way too secure with myself and needed to be brought down a peg or two? Oh, WHY? Just tell me WHY?
When an incident like this arises, it emphasizes society's pre-occupation with looks. How we appear to other people is so important.
I mean, I am really not that worried about what I look like, but I am concerned about looking like I kissed a toad and have big ugly warts on my lip. I have tattoos, and I like to show them off, but when I get a cold sore, I get self conscious and want to wear a paper bag on my head. It's kind of contradictory, tattoos to rebel against the conformist society, but no cold sores to show that I may be different.

1 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

Na-nah! That's what you get for bragging about getting some, when poor wretched like me aren't!

2:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home