Sunday, March 20, 2005

Warts, I mean Cold sore and all.....

Well, the cold sore saga is very worrisome. For the first time ever, I went to the doctor for a cold sore.
Now this wasn't just a cold sore, no, this was the monster of all cold sores. Mount Vesuvius had taken up residence on my upper lip, it was so bad that a leper colony would have denied me entry, Jesus would have turned away in horror, people in the street turned their faces away in pity, murmuring to themselves and making the sign to ward off evil. Even the Devil came to ask me who had such great power as to wreak such a devastating outbreak of disease upon my mortal body.
I have never had an outbreak so bad before. My whole upper lip swelled up so that I could hardly talk, it was so painful that I was taking handfuls of analgesics and panadol, I had ice packs pressed gingerly to the inflamed site for hours at a time. I did everything right, but it continued to grow and develop. I worried so much that I think I made it worse. I dabbed cold sore cream into the area every 5 minutes, I washed my hands every time I even thought about putting cream on it, then wiped them over with disinfectant wipes, I tried nearly every quack remedy that I came across on the net, and still it continued to get worse.
It was so big, bad and ugly that I almost got a day off work. Now, that in itself is proof that I had it bad. I have only had a half dozen days off in the last year, and three of those were for when my mum went into hospital. I very rarely get sick, and my boss is not one to give days off just because of illness. Yet even he was sickened by the sight of my swollen blistered lip, suggesting that I might try to find a temp to man the phones for the day, except our usual helper was busy for the day and couldn't come in. As it happened, I got to leave a half an hour early so that I could go to the doctor.
The doctor was so kind, he didn't recoil in revulsion when I entered his office, he looked upon with me with no pity, asked me two or three questions, then told me I would need help in the form of anti viral tablets. The thing with these tablets is, that they are terribly expensive. The doc then got up, said that he was sure that there was some samples in the office somewhere, left the office for 30 seconds and returned with three little boxes in his hand. He gave me three days worth of tablets, which at a cost of about $20 a day, was a very generous gift.
I have not been cured, but I am over the worst of the infection, and nearly ready to face the cute boy I do naughty things with. I was supposed to catch up with him on Saturday night, but cancelled. If he had seen me then, he would have never wanted to see me again.
I think that I need to take a couple of days off soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

Some people think there are more important things to people than the way they look

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home