Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Obstacles......

I really wonder if obstacles are thrown in my path to make me stronger, or to just piss me off.
I am coming up against some opposition at work. Partly due to my strong personality, and partly due to the fact that the place is run by a "committee". I stood up for myself tonight, and I don't know if that was in my favour, or against. There is no way, with the staffing resources I have available to me at the moment, I can do the drinks at a sit down dinner for 240 people, and be proud of the service. I can hire temp staff and know that I will be able to get the job done and done well, but unless I can outsource, I just will not be able to do it.
The problem with a committee is that there are too many people, and they don't communicate with each other, nor do they consult with those people that are expected to deliver what they decide on. This is going to be my first make or break, head to head showdown. If I survive this, then I may live to fight another battle, if not, then let them do it on their own.
I also don't like to be bullied and there is someone that needs to pull their head in now, or lose.
I heard an interesting comment today. "Don't expect the members to be your friend, and never drink on the premises."
I am sure that I have made enemies already, but I have a few onside. And the only time I have a drink is if it is really late, everyone has gone home, and I am doing the clean up. I don't like to drink and drive.
One of the older members told me to stand my ground and I am going to do just that. I would rather not have my name associated with shabby service and be ejected from my position than to have them come back and say that what was provided was bad.

So there!!!!

It feels great to be getting all of this off my chest here again, I should not have waited so long.

Any feed back will be much appreciated.

1 Comments:

Blogger mj said...

aaaah, you have to walk that fine line between that which you believ in and that which is politically expedient... a hard decision to make.

Good luck!

5:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home