Tuesday, April 19, 2005

My Hero.....And I met him in person

I finally got to meet Ian in person last night, and you know what? He didn't look anything like I expected, he was as funny as I expected, we have a fair bit in common, and he is full of.......... trivia.
We came third in the Trash Trivia game and I got to take home a poster for our efforts. We really need to study up on those music questions. I let the side down severely with those. It was so much fun though, I hope that we can make it a regular thing. I want to do karaoke next, at least I can get up and do the team proud then. Maybe we can do some more really cool things, like we could do paintball, or go karts, or go camping for a weekend, or take a balloon ride. I am really fantasising here but, you get the general idea. I made a real live friend(there's echoes of Pinocchio there I'm sure). I hope that he will want to hang out with me sometime.
It's a strange thing when you build a picture of someone in your head and then meet them. The whole of last year I dealt with people on the phone up to four or five times a week, when we had our christmas party, I finally got to meet some of them. I had that whole picture thing in my head for most of them, and was (sometimes disappointingly so) suprised to find that the faces didn't match my picture.
One the guys in the office had it all figured out, we are Charlie from Charlie's Angels.
We make the call,
Charlie, "So, we have a job for you, can you take on the assignment?"
Candidate/Angel, "Sure, what, when, who?"
Charlie, "Here is the assignment, it needs to be done with speed, accuracy and above all, to schedule, we will contact you when you're underway."
Candidate/Angel, "Fine, I'll send the documents through when I've completed the job".
The whole job can be completed, the candidate paid and the client invoiced, all without us having left the comfort of our office. This happens several times a day, with several different clients and candidates. As many of the clients have been with the company longer than me, and too, most of the candidates, I haven't had the opportunity to meet with them. We are literally, the voice on the phone.
Well, really should be working now, damn.



3 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

I knew you'd be disappointed when you met me. I tried to tell you that before we met, remember?

But of course I'd like to hang out with you. I had fun!

7:36 AM  
Blogger SJ said...

By the way everyone - we didn't come third, we came second last :)

Selective memory, Movinon - I like that!

7:42 AM  
Blogger Movin'on said...

Hey, I never said that I was disappointed, I just said that you didn't look like what I expected.
Yay! A new friend.

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home