Thursday, May 12, 2005

Poetry

Here below are some of my favourite poets poems, and a lot of my own.




The Parting

Since there's no help, come let us kiss and part.
Nay, I have done, you get no more of me,
And I am glad, yea, glad with all my heart,
That so cleanly I myself can free,
Shake hands forever, cancel all our vows,
And when we meet at any time again,
Be it not seen in any of our brows
That we one jot of former love retain.
Now at the last gasp of love's latest breath,
When, his pulse failing, Passion speechless lies,
When faith is kneeling by his bed of death,
And Innocence is closing up his eyes,
Now if thou wouldst, when all have given him over,
From death to life thou mights him yet recover

Michael Drayton



Sonnet CXVI

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediment. Love is not love
Which alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove.
O no, it is an ever fixed mark,
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Times fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error, and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

Shakespeare


Sonnet XXIX

When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes
I all alone beweep my outcast state,
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries,
and look upon myself, and curse my fate,
Featured like him, like him with friends possessed,
Desiring this man's art, and that man's scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least;
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising -
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven' gate:
For thy sweet love's rememeb'red such waelth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.

Shakespeare



Take, O Take
(from "Measure to Measure")

Take, O take those lips away,
That so sweetly were forsworn,
And those eyes, the break of day,
Lights that do mislead the morn;
But my kisses bring again,
bring again,
Seals of love, but sealed in vain,
sealed in vain.

Shakespeare


The Warning

The haze lifts, and now I see
So clearly the direction I must take,
No more shall I blindly stumble
Along the path of life.
No more shall I bear the brunt
Of people mocking my worthless life,
No more shall I hide away
And try feebly to shun
The consequences of my past,
Though for the future
I will not live.
For once the future becomes present
it then becomes past,
And the past is used against me
So as the extremest extent of misery
Is my experience.
No, I will not live for the future,
I will not live for the present,
I will not live.......
I will not live.


This one above of mine as is the rest


Death and suffering
It's all I see
How can I help
When no one trusts me?
My feeble cries
Are never heard
Above the shouts
Of this revolutionary world
The answer will not come
From peace through death.
The suffering won't stop
Through mindless threats


Misty eyed and reminiscent,
depression sweeps over me
Like a huge black cloud
With no end.
The warming liquid I cling to
Brings only relief from life.
Nothing inhibits my actions now.
Only tomorrow can tell if they are right,
Or wrong.
But maybe tonight I'll be free,
Maybe tonight I won't have to
Experience the trauma of tomorrow.
(Nothing inhibits my actions now)
Maybe there'll be no tomorrow.
No
tomorrow.........






When I peer over the edge
Of that deep ravine
And look death in the face,
Fear grips and yet enthralls me.
Escape!
Realease; from this destructive life
Freedom; from the ravages of human nature
Peace; with one's self.
Finally, away from the torment
And emotional savagery destroying my life.
When death beckons
I will not hesitate to follow


What's life to a no one?
What's love? to one never loved?
When death looms over the doorstep
And leers like a drunken man,
It's almost heaven
To accept his proposition.
Too often I am tempted
By his beckoning finger,
Too often I am lured
By the bliss of eternal life,
By the ethereal completeness of death.
Maybe one day I'll accept his offer,
maybe one day I'll sleep forever
Maybe
tomorrow!



"Pour out your problems to me" I said,
and he did
"It can make you feel better" I said,
And it did.
" I hope to do the same for you someday" he said,
As he agonisingly twisted the knife of betrayal
In my back.



Unlearned and unskilled
Wandering toward the end of existence
Resisting challenge after challenge,
defeat is all powerful.



Each time you leave,
you take with you
A little bit more of my heart.
And it causes just that little bit more pain.
Adding to that great abyss
Which used to be my soul.
My eyes ache to see you
My heart aches to hold you
My body aches to have you
Yet my mind knows I've lost you.
Still the hurt lingers on.
even though I know that you're gone


Here, alone again; still
All I can do is think of you.
Of how much the time we spent together means to me
Of how you'll forget me.
And how someone else will be the centre of your attentions
And of how much that hurts.



Loneliness is a cancer
it starts as just one cell
then multiplies until
It ends up killing you



I dreamt of you last night.
Of magical moments, beautiful music,
Moonlit balconies, sparkling wine,
But it was sad
It was only a dream.




Now is the right time
And it worked yesterday too.
Yet while time stands still for us now
Tomorrow may be eons different
Fortunately tomorrow is light years away.



I play the game so beware!
I've played it for a while now
And I only play to win.


My feeble noises can't even be heard
Should someone be calling to you? How absurd.
All I wanted to do was help. Don't you know?
I cared so deeply I couldn't let it show.
You pushed me aside and stumbled right in
To a world full of danger, excitement and sin.
Now all that is left is a box in the ground
And a plaque that I visit,
to mark that dirt mound.



Words are my heartfelt truths,
the demons of my soul
Are freed to be real,
but their reality is only my imagination,
their cage, my courage -
Or lack of it -
ink does not make anything more real
than it already is
in my head.
or any less.
But my words are heartfelt truths.



How do I be so insane and so clear headed all at the same time? I need a pupose for living, survival depends on passion.
Drugs and alcohol help to fog up my brain enough to not care either way. I need to feel like that all of the time; but it is physically - bodily - inpossible to maintain this state for any length of time, so if I take that path (and it's a conscious decision to take that path) how long? Do I just degenerate into a sub/superhumen drug addict with no self respect except for the need to fill the craving? The craving for passion/happiness - even death - gives way to the desperate, constant need for the chemical that fills my veins. That which wipes my memory of all "human" things that matter - feelings, relationships, memories, civilisation - wipes that PAIN!
A conscious decision to make.
Wow, how do you seriously get that thought in your head? Seriously, though?
Do you have to go to that state? Can you create a facade that will disguise/cover the addiction?
Would it be any harder than disguising that pain and desperation that I have to deal with now?



This was a real dream that I tried to write as a poem

The other night I was awoken
Rain poured down outside
Thunder rumbled, lightning flashed.
But someone, something woke me
I was laughing, I was happy
to feel...... (who?) wake me was glorious
Where have you been?
Why wake me?
Why not keep me happy in daylight too?
I liked it.
I don't know who, (I suspect it was you) but I didn't care
I liked it!
Come again soon
Don't scare me but wake me in frolic
In fun,
Where have you been?
Why can't I find you?

The last one was about a lover of mine that died unexpectedly and I have never forgotten and have always wondered about where we would be now.

I don't really know if anyone out there is reading any of this(beside Ian - my friend XXX) but I have been feeling this fucked up in my head for so long now that I don't know any other way to feel. is there no end to my misery? Will I ever not cry alone at night?

3 Comments:

Blogger hedlund said...

I'm reading, and your poetry is moving. I like it. I'm hoping you can find your way. :-)

6:56 AM  
Blogger SJ said...

Sub is correct - very moving. The tears will not be around forever, I guarantee it...

9:36 PM  
Blogger Badpatty said...

Hey, I managed to pull out of a pretty bad downward spiral not too long ago. I was done with women. I told friends, "I'm not getting back in that pool unless God hisself pushes me in." Well, that's about what happened. I wish you well.

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home